INCIRLIK AIR BASE, Turkey --
The month of October is recognized as Energy Action Month throughout U.S. government agencies, including the Air Force. Energy Action Month is a reminder of the importance energy plays in the Air Force’s mission.
The reduction of energy and water consumption throughout the Department of Defense was officially mandated by U.S. Federal Law. The Executive Order 13693 mandates that energy consumption must be reduced 25 percent by 2025. A reduction of water consumption of 26 percent by 2020 was mandated under Executive Order 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy and Economic Performance. Incirlik Air Base needs to meet Department of Energy goals.
Meeting energy goals may be challenging, which means we need to monitor our consumption and create more projects to reduce energy waste. The 39th Air Base Wing has several energy projects in progress and programmed for the future to help reduce consumption to include substituting non-efficient lights and replacing deteriorated water lines. However, we cannot reach our reduction goals without the combined efforts of the residents of Incirlik, our Geographically Separated Units and mission partners.
The first way we, as Incirlik AB residents, can reduce energy is focused on people-related conservation practices. Incirlik AB saves more than $250,000 in a year just by replacing lights with energy efficient ones. Simple practices like using more efficient lights or turning the tap off when not in use can make a difference that adds up.
Individuals can make a difference by turning off lights and water faucets when not in use. Making conservation habit changes will help preserve resources and ensure a better future for our children in years to come.
Here are some additional tips you can use to help Incirlik AB in its energy reduction efforts:
- Turn off office lights when you leave at night.
- Use natural lighting or day lighting. Turn off lights near windows.
- Use task lighting; instead of brightly lighting an entire room, focus the light where you need it, to directly illuminate work areas.
- Unplug equipment that drains energy when not in use (i.e. cell phone chargers, fans, coffeemakers, desktop printers, radios, etc.).
- Turn your thermostat down to 67 degrees when you go to bed.
- Keep doors and windows closed when the heat is on.
- Prevent cool air from seeping in through old weather stripping or caulking around doors and windows.
- Turn off all outside lights during daylight hours.
- Run full loads in dishwashers and clothes washers.
These are just a few ways you can help Incirlik AB achieve its goal of energy reduction. October is the National Energy Action Month, but our campaign should last all year long. We’re always looking to find the next best way to save energy.