MHS GENESIS is a single, continuous record of care that will support the provision and coordination of care of 9.5 million beneficiaries worldwide.
MHS GENESIS improves access, safety and quality of care for our nation’s service members, retirees and families.
Once fully deployed, MHS GENESIS will offer:
- Faster and better management of chronic, complex and time-sensitive questions
- Automated, real-time clinical decision support for doctors and care providers
- Increased patient engagement capabilities that allow patients to directly communicate with their providers.
- Lower overall maintenance costs for legacy system
- Full compliance with the Department of Defense’s (DoD) cybersecurity requirements
The new electronic health record is expected to be implemented in Europe, September 2023.
As the Defense Department transitions to MHS GENESIS, there are a few things to keep in mind, that may impact you.
- Pharmacy: The pharmacy will be busier than usual when MHS GENESIS deploys, and a few weeks after. To avoid longer wait times, try to get medications before the transition begins.
- Labs: Laboratories may see increased wait times during a few weeks after MHS GENESIS deployment. If you have current order, visit the laboratory before the new EHR is deployed.
- Referrals: If you receive a referral now and it is valid past the switch to MHS GENESIS, keep a hard copy of your referral.
- Patient Portal: MHS GENESIS provides patients access to their records online and includes a new secure messaging system, replacing TRICARE Online (TOL).
- Appointments: Patients should schedule appointments through TRICARE Online during the transition, but appointment availability may be limited due to providers and staff training in the new system.
The Patient Portal is a secure website that provides access to health information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Through the new MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, you can:
- View your health information
- Exchange secure messages with your care team
- Request prescription renewals
- View notes from your clinical visits and certain lab or test results
- Request medical and active duty dental appointments.
- Complete a pre-visit active duty dental health questionnaire online
- Look up information related to your health concerns and medications
Visit https://patientportal.mhsgenesis.health.mil to access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal. Some important information about to login or register is below.
- If you do not have a common access card (CAC) or MyPay account, you will need to create a DS Logon account to access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal
- To ensure MHS GENESIS can confirm your identity and protect your health information, you will be required to complete a brief verification process
- You will create your MHS GENESIS Patient Portal password in the online registration process, and a new password will be need to be created every 180 days
- Once you successfully create your DS Logon, click on “Upgrade to Premium Account” to view your health information
- For assistance, call the Defense Manpower Data Center at 1-800-538-9552
You must be affiliated with the Department of Defense (DoD) or Veterans Affairs and listed in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) in one of the following roles to have a DS Logon account: Service Members (Active, Guard, Reservist, Retirees), Veterans, Eligible Family Members (over 18 years old), Spouses (current and former with DoD benefits, DoD civilians and contractors.
The transition to MHS GENESIS will take place be now and 2024 and will roll out from west to east. If a new patient’s duty station does not have MHS GENESIS, their new care team will have access to view their records through the Joint Legacy Viewer (JLV). When patients PCS (permanent change of station) to a non-MHS GENESIS military treatment facility, they will revert back to using legacy systems (e.g. TRICARE Online Patient Portal Secure Messaging).
Visit health.mil/MHSGENESIS or consult your primary care team.