The 425th Air Base Squadron is a Geographically Separated Unit, or GSU, of the 39th Air Base Wing, Incirlik AB located in Izmir, Turkey.
Performs as administrative agent and provides mission support for the NATO Allied Land Command Headquarters as well as six other associate units operating in Izmir, Turkey. Administers the annual $1‑million Çiğli AB Loan Agreement between the United States and Turkey.
The 425th ABS is composed of ten sections: Communications, Financial Management, Contracting, Logistics, Medical, Supply, Personnel, Postal, Security Forces, and Services. The squadron also has five staff functions: Chapel, Legal, Public Affairs, Protocol, Airman and Family Readiness Center. Contractors perform many of the functions of the squadron to include Civil Engineering, Safety, Travel Management, Housing, and Vehicle Operations.
The squadron executes all functions that would normally be accomplished at a wing.
The unit was activated in Izmir as the 7266th Support Squadron Nov. 15, 1955, to support Allied Land Forces Southeastern Europe and Sixth Allied Tactical Air Force. Prior to this, support for these NATO headquarters came from the U.S. Sixth Fleet.
July 1, 1959, most of the 7266th moved to Çiğli Air Base, 15 miles north of Izmir, where, July 5, 1962, it merged with U.S. Air Forces in Europe's 7231st Combat Support Group. April 1, 1966, the 7231st CSG became the 41st Tactical Group.
U.S. facilities at Çiğli AB were turned over to the Turkish Air Force July 1, 1970. At that time the 41st TG was inactivated and the 41st Combat Support Squadron at Çiğli was renamed the 7241st Support Squadron and moved into downtown Izmir.
In 1970, the unit was briefly moved from Headquarters Turkey and U.S. Logistics Group and assigned to the 39th Tactical Group, Incirlik AB, and later that year to 16th Air Force before returning to Headquarters TUSLOG again in December 1971.
Jan. 1, 1973, the 7241st was changed to an air base squadron until August 1980 when it was re-designated as an Air Base Group.
June 15, 1993, the unit was changed to an Air Base Squadron again and renamed the 741st Air Base Squadron.
The unit was renamed the 425th Air Base Squadron Nov. 1, 1994. The re-designation as the 425th ABG took place Oct. 4, 2005.
The most recent change came July 1, 2009, when the group was renamed the 425th Air Base Squadron.
Approximately 43 U.S. Air Force military members are assigned to the air station. There are about 12 U.S. civilians including government employees and contractors, and about 58 Turkish government and contracted employees.
Strategic Importance and Location
Turkey is a member nation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Turkey's geographic position places it and Izmir Air Station on the strategically vital southeastern flank of NATO.
Turkey's geographic location and status as a democratic and secular nation of Muslim people make it an important ally in the Global War on Terrorism and other U.S. objectives in the region.
General Vecihi Akın Garrison
Located in Şirinyer, Izmir, General Vecihi Akın Garrison is the home of NATO Headquarters Allied Land Command Izmir. The garrison was known as Şirinyer Garrison until March 1996.
It is of significant historic interest, dating back to the late 1800's, when Canadians Dr. and Mrs. Alexander MacLachlan established a Christian training school there. The MacLachlans founded a foreign school for Greeks, Armenians, Jews and other nationalities in what was called the American Boys School in 1891.
Through the generosity of a wealthy Izmir businessman, Dr. MacLachlan acquired the lands which now comprise Akın Garrison. The school's name evolved as the American High School for Boys and was later renamed the American Collegiate Institute, eventually gaining worldwide accreditation.
In 1934, the school was transferred to Beirut. From that point until 1953, the garrison was used by the Turkish Ministry of Education as a teacher training school.
(Current as of Dec. 1, 2021)