Colonel Shelly L. Mendieta is the Vice Commander of the 39th Air Base Wing, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey. As Vice Commander, Colonel Mendieta is responsible for approximately 3,500 U.S. military, civilian and contractor personnel and the combat readiness of U.S. Air Force units at Incirlik and five geographically‐separated units in Turkey. She is also responsible for Base Operations Support Integrator (BOS‐I) activities for Turkey-based Combined and Joint forces conducting Operations INHERENT RESOLVE, NOMAD SHADOW, and ACTIVE FENCE.
Colonel Mendieta entered the Air Force in May 1999, receiving her commission from the Air Force ROTC program at The University of Texas. She earned her navigator wings at Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training at Pensacola Naval Air Station, Florida. She has held multiple positions at the headquarters, squadron, and wing levels with operational tours at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina, and Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. She commanded the 455th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, where she directed the diverse operations of 122 personnel across 2 bases, providing airfield operations, wing intelligence, airfield weather, wing weapons and tactics, air traffic control and landing systems, mission planning, and aircrew flight equipment support for 7 squadrons and 340,000 missions at the Department of Defense’s busiest combat logistics hub.
Colonel Mendieta is a previously qualified flight examiner, instructor weapon system operator, and formal training unit instructor WSO with multiple deployments in support of OPERATIONS IRAQI, ENDURING FREEDOM, FREEDOM’S SENTINEL, and the RESOLUTE SUPPORT mission. She has more than 2,400 total flying hours, including 526 combat hours in the F-15E. Prior to her current assignment, Colonel Mendieta was the Director, Current Operations (A3) for the U.S. Air Force Warfare Center (USAFWC), Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada.
1999 Bachelor of Arts, Biology, University of Texas, Austin, Texas
2007 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Masters, Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle University-Worldwide, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. – Distinguished Graduate
2017 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1999-May 2001, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Training Squadrons 4 and 86, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla.
2. May 2001-March 2002, Student F-15E WSO, 333d Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
3. March 2002-January 2005, F-15E Instructor WSO, Chief of Mobility and Training Officer, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. January 2005 – July 2005, Student Instructor WSO, 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. July 2005 – July 2007, F-15E Instructor WSO and Flight Evaluator, Life Support Officer and Flight Commander, 333d Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. July 2007-August 2011, T-39 Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training WSO Evaluator, Chief of Ground Safety, Assistant Operations Officer, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation and Senior Air Force Officer, Training Squadron 86, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla.
7. August 2011 – September 2012, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. September 2012 – February 2013, Assistant Director of Operations, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
9. February 2013 – May 2014, Chief of Safety, 366 Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
10. May 2014 – March 2015, Director of Operations, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, ID with duties as Chief of Safety 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
11. March 2015 - March 2016, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
12. March 2016 – June 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 2017 – June 2019, AF/A5RC Chief, Joint Air Dominance Branch, USAF Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. June 2019 – June 2020, Director, Operations (A3) USAF Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nevada
15. June 2020 – Present, Vice Commander, 39th Air Base Wing, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
Rating: Master Navigator
Total Flight hours: More than 2,400
Aircraft flown: F-15E, AT-38, T-39, T-1, T-34
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two devices
Air Medal with eight devices
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one device
Navy Commendation Medal with one device
Navy Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with two devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 21, 1999
First Lieutenant Jun 2, 2001
Captain Jun 2, 2003
Major Feb 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 2013
Colonel Jan 1, 2020
(Current as of 27 May 20)